Noise Reduction: If you want to record audio, the most important thing is to make sure that you have zero noise disturbances around. If you want good quality of audio, you must completely reduce the amount of irritating noises. Because, the listener can’t listen to the audio clearly with noises in the background. This is the reason why noise reduction is important for the proper finishing of audio recordings, in order to make them clear. Click here to learn more.
Noise cancellation is a process of cancelling of any kinds of background noise or unwanted sound. These noises affect the quality of your recording by distracting the listener from the actual audio.
How to reduce noise in audacity?
One can use Audacity for recording, as well as for editing audio. Conveniently, this comes in PC and Mac versions. However, before you start with the noise cancellation process, make sure to assess the recordings of your audio first. And, take a note of the parts of the recording that has background noise.
- Sponsored Links -
One should also have a habit of taking a separate recording as a sample. By keeping this sample with you, it becomes easier to reduce the noises from the background.
The Noise Reduction Process
- Step 1- the foremost step of the noise reduction process is creating a profile of the noise. As, it informs audacity about the type of noise which one wants to reduce, or cancel, from the audio recording.
- Step 2- In case you didn’t make a room tone recording, just open the audio file you want to process. Once you open the file, click and drag a section that contains a lot of noise. After selecting, click on the effect. And then, click on the noise reduction option.
- Step 3- Once you complete the steps above, you will see a window with a label ‘STEP 1’. Click on the button labeled as ‘Get Noise Profile’. This will create your profile, which you will use in Audacity for the noise cancellation process.
- Step 4- The next step is selecting the full audio file that needs to be corrected. Select the noise reduction option from a menu named effects, which you will see at the top.
- Step 5- When a new window named ‘STEP 2’ appears; make the required changes as per your choice. You can adjust the audio according to the noise reduction level you are comfortable with. Adjust the noise reduction, frequency smoothing, and sensitivity by moving the bands.
- Step 6-After you have completed all of the steps above, click on the preview button to listen to the effect of your settings. If you do not feel satisfied, you can change the settings further.
- Step 7- You need to click on residue radio to listen to the noise that you need to eliminate from your audio recording. This step can be very useful. Because, some settings may also result in losing some of our valuable or useful audio content.
- Step 8- Last but not least, when you are totally satisfied with the edits, click on the ‘OK’ and ‘reduce radio’ buttons. As, this will apply the noise cancellation effect on your recording.